On-line Opinion Magazine…OK, it's a blog
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Litha

Today at 4:14AM [CDT] is the Summer Solstice, technically considered the “first day of Summer”, but the mid Summer by much of Europe.

Many Wiccans celebrate the day as Litha, while computer programmers honor their predecessors, the druids, who built the first solid-state computing devices, the megaliths, like Stonehenge.

The Slavs celebrate St. John’s Night, Иван Купала [Ivan Kupala], the battle between the White god [Белобог – Belobog] and the Black god [Чёрнобог – Chyornobog] for control of the Sun. The Black god always wins and the night begins to expand.

The sound track to the battle is Иванова Ночь на Лысой Горе [Night on Bald Mountain ] by Модест Петрович Мусоргский [Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky], which everyone should play very loudly.

8 comments

1 Anya { 06.21.22 at 9:14 am }

If it’s Midsummer, why is it so freakin’ cold here?

However, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for; the weather fronts move from west to east… 🙁

2 Bryan { 06.21.22 at 10:46 am }

I know. Bern & Marsha outside of Rochester have been having 70° days, It’s weird. Down here we are in the second week of heat advisories, which shouldn’t be happening until late July and August. I think the high pressure heat dome over the center of the US is pulling down Arctic air in the Northeast, but that’s just a guess.

3 hipparchia { 06.24.22 at 5:40 pm }

does litha mean that we take up stoning or that we all get free lithium prescriptions now?

4 Bryan { 06.26.22 at 3:52 pm }

Dylan explains everything.

5 hipparchia { 06.26.22 at 7:32 pm }

🙂 ihad forgotten that one 🙂

6 Bryan { 06.27.22 at 11:11 am }

The title is Rainy Day Women 12 & 35, so it tends to get lost.

7 Kryten42 { 06.29.22 at 9:14 pm }

It’s definitely winter here! Though, so far we haven’t dropped below zero. Gotten close a few times. Currently around 13 C just after Midday (inside). Bit warmer outside as the sun is not hidden by rain clouds! That’s a rare event the past couple Months!

My NBN Internet has been utter rubbish on and off the past two months. I blame the old copper lines, some of which haven’t been replaced since the 60’s. With all the rain & some flooding we’ve had, I’m not surprised. Sometimes it disconnects for up to a day or two, and then the speed drops from my usual average of 6.6 MB/s to 1.4 MB/s, where it has been for 3 days now. I’ve logged a fault of course. Turns out that if you don’t, you don’t get a refund.

Anyway, I hope you are better Bryan. And hipparchia, Anya and all are staying safe and well. Take care everyone!

8 Bryan { 06.29.22 at 10:21 pm }

We have rain half the month and drought with heat advisories the second half to ensure that the humidity never drops. Rain was a problem when I had DSL because the lines were buried and people kept running into the above ground patch points. Nothing was on poles. If you saw a backhoe working anywhere in the neighborhood you could depend on an outage. Now the problem is people running into the utility poles or boats on trailers that are too tall tearing out the cables. It’s always something to annoy you.

Well, at least you don’t have shooting over mayo and your new prime minister doesn’t look to be the type who throws food against the walls of the official residence. The days are getting longer for you, while shorter for me, so stay warm. Yeah, if you don’t complain they’ll ignore you.