On-line Opinion Magazine…OK, it's a blog
Random header image... Refresh for more!

One Small Step

Apollo 11

Apollo 11

Commander:

Neil A. Armstrong

Pilot: Columbia Command Module

Michael Collins, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF

Pilot: Eagle Lunar Module

Edwin E. “Buzz” Aldrin, Jr., Colonel, USAF

Launched: 16 July 1969 UT 13:32:00 (08:32:00 CDT)

Landed on Moon: 20 July 1969 UT 20:17:40 (15:17:40 CDT)

Landing Site: Mare Tranquillitatis – Sea of Tranquility (0.67 N, 23.47 E)

Returned to Earth: 24 July 1969 UT 16:50:35 (11:50:35 CDT)

It has been fifty-three years since a human first set foot on another natural body in the solar system. We are finally making steps toward doing it again.

6 comments

1 Badtux { 07.20.22 at 8:23 pm }

How to know you’re getting old: You remember seeing men walking on the moon.

“Daddy, why are those people bouncing so high when they walk?”

“Because they’re on the moon, son!”

“But why?”

“Because the Moon has lower gravity!”

“What’s gravity?”

“Err…. let’s just watch them bounce around, okay?”

My dad wasn’t quite up to explaining gravity to a five year old child, lol.

2 Bryan { 07.21.22 at 4:30 pm }

My Dad was alive for Lindburgh’s flight and the moon landing. I was flying from Alaska, but with an unit that could process the raw data from the moon.

3 Kryten42 { 07.26.22 at 10:33 am }

I was 12 then. I remember watching it completely fascinated with Mom on our B/W Pye TV. Good times. 😀

I hope you and Badtux are well Bryan. 👍😊

4 Bryan { 07.28.22 at 3:23 pm }

My daily computer is giving me fits, so I’m using my Pi4 and Ubuntu, but medically no real problems. You are more active on Twitter these days which keeps you out of the pubs.

It was an amazing time when people were doing inspiring things…

5 Kryten42 { 08.16.22 at 2:38 pm }

Well! Funny you mentioning your computer being a PITA!

My PC died last week. MoBo I think. Of course, I sold my Dell Precision M6800 notebook late last year as I simply wasn’t using it & I decided to sell it to a friend of a friend who wanted a portable CAD/GFX system (which is what it was designed for) and offered a very good price. I did keep my Dell Tablet, but had been neglecting updats for a few years. And it had nothing but trouble connecting to my Router via WiFi. Of course, it has no Ethernet jack. I had d/l updates in 2021 for it, just hadn’t installed them.

First thing was to update the BIOS as I sauspected that was at least part of the WiFi issue. And found I couldn’t! When I trued to start in the BIOS setup at boot, it would freeze at about 80% loading & stop. My neighbor let me use his notebook yesterday to d/l the windows version of the BIOS update & a Win10 update from Dell. Good thing I kept my support/service account!

Anyway, that worked & the BIOS was updated from v09 to v17. Yes I’d been very slack in my updates! But it was working fine, & worked with my ASUS Router, until I had to go back to the NBN supplied POS a few Months ago.

So, after BIOS/W10/many Intel/Dell driver updates… Here I am! I hope. Guess we’ll see. 😉 😀

Timing really SUX! I really did NOT want to update my PC until around mid 2023!

I’ll have a look at what I can get for a few $hundred (AU). Just need a MoBo & CPU (no way I will get Z270X based MoBo for my CPU). If I do have to buy a current MoBo/CPU, I’ll go AMD again. I think their are current ZEN3 MoBo’s at the lower end that support DDR4 RAM (all the mid-high end use the new DDR5).

I’ll see what’s available & prices.

I do hope youa re all well & your problems are sorted Bryan. Take care my friend. It’s insane out there! (Not that you need me to tell you that!)

6 Bryan { 08.17.22 at 12:03 am }

I saw your tweet. I’m using the Pi 4B/8GB RAM with Ubuntu when the Win10 has the vapors. The Pi isn’t as fast but it’s reliable and and the USB 3.0 ports can handle reasonable transfer speeds.

I’ll either get another refurbished from Amazon or move my Big Box into the ‘office’.

It looks like another La Niña is building which suppresses Atlantic storms but dumps water on you. There is no normal anymore.

I see where ScoMo is in trouble again, but not as much trouble as Trump. Trump currently has legal problems in New York, Georgia, and Florida.

Take care, M8. I do read your Tweets.